LEARNING SUPPORT SERVICES
The OSC Learning Support Services are intended to assist all degree–seeking undergraduate students who are experiencing academic difficulties by providing learning support services ranging from tutoring to academic skills workshops and more.
The Tutoring Center is an academic service providing tutoring sessions by their student peers. The area is created to offer an atmosphere of friendliness and to encourage GUST students to receive tutoring in a non-intimidating way.
All Peer Tutors are highly qualified students who have the knowledge and ability to deliver the academic information to their fellow peer students driven by the commitment to serve others.
The tutor’s main goal is to give students meaningful opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of subject matter as well as to help students become independent learners.
The Tutoring Center has been awarded Level 2 accreditation by the College of Reading and Learning Association (CRLA), which indicates that our tutors have met all of the requirements of their tutor training program.
Goals of Tutoring
Tutoring is the process of getting students to become independent through questioning. The main purpose of tutoring is to:
- Help students become better independent learners.
- Help students realize that there are differences in the way people learn.
- Help students discover their own learning styles.
- Show students how to utilize their strengths.
- Provide training to improve specific student deficits.
- Help students organize and prioritize.
Benefits of Tutoring
- Encourages higher levels of thinking.
- Increases motivation to learn in order to maintain new role.
- Increases ability to manage own learning and study strategies.
- Increases understanding of subject area(s).
- Improves attitude toward subject area(s).
- Offers a individualized, systematic, and structured learning experience.
- Provides a stronger connection between teacher and learner
- Improves academic performance and personal growth.
- Provides intensive practice for students who need it.
Tutoring Center Schedule
Our peer tutors are available to assist you in numerous subject areas according to a fixed schedule please visit apps.gust.edu.kw/tutoring/ipad to search the schedule.
Academic Skills Workshops
Academic skills are the skills that students need to succeed at university. For example, students generally need to able to manage their time or learn how to take proper notes. Each semester, we provide all students an opportunity to continually enhance their learning and study skills through a series of workshops. All workshops are conducted by internationally certified trainers form the Board of International Trainers in America with topics such as classroom etiquette, time management, note-taking and test-taking.
All workshops are registered at the Board of international Trainers in America (BITA).
Goals of Academic Skills Workshops
- Support educational needs.
- Assist students with the acquisition of learning and academic skills to support their college years.